Breathe deeply with Neti Pot nasal rinsing
When we breathe deeply and feel the air flowing freely through our bodies, we feel a heightened sense of clarity and connectedness. A disruption to the ease of breathing on the other hand, whether due to a cold or allergic reaction, can feel like an offset in the balance and rhythm of the whole body. As we inhale, our bodies naturally filter the air we breathe by trapping pollutants and allergens in a thin layer of mucus that lines the nasal passages. Keeping these layers clean and healthy can support clear and free movement of breath within the body. A gentle and effective way to cleanse the nasal passages is to rinse them using a Neti Pot, a time-tested device which originates in the East and resembles a small teapot. The saline solution in the Neti Pot replenishes the moisture in the nasal lining and flushes out the trapped impurities before they are moved to the throat and swallowed. It can be used to clear congestion from the sinuses during times of illness, but it can also be used daily for general nasal hygiene, to soothe the effects of dry indoor air and air pollution that many of us live with daily.
Using a Neti Pot is easy and comfortable, at least after the first try! Just follow these few steps:
- Fill the Neti Pot with about 8oz of warm, sterile water. Mix 1/4 of a teaspoon of Neti Pot Salt into the water. While other salts can be used, the Neti Pot salt is non-iodized and does not contain irritants that can be present in less pure salt.
- Lean over the sink and tilt the head to one side, so that the forehead is slightly higher than or level with the chin.
- Carefully insert the spout of the Neti Pot into the upper nostril and raise the Neti Pot slowly.
- Allow the saline solution to flow through the upper nostril and out through the lower nostril into the sink, while breathing through the mouth.
- Once the Neti Pot is empty, exhale vigorously.
- Refill the Neti Pot and repeat with the other nostril.
In meditation and yoga we consciously pay attention to the movement of breath, and feel directly how the body is invigorated as it flows through us. Keeping this flow as healthy and unabated as possible is a sure way to support perfect wellbeing of our earthly temples. A few rinses using a Neti Pot can be all that’s needed to restore the nasal passageways and keep them functioning perfectly, helping the body to glow with aliveness with every breath.